Celebrate the Small Wins


Good morning!

This is my first day check in for the work out that I created, and I told you all about. I feel like it was a win!

 I initially said I was going to get up at 6 AM and I’m going to do this new workout that I put together because I am going to be at home working out right now. I had to figure out what to do now that I am dealing with the tail end of a shoulder injury, which even now I have a little trouble with my arm. I still don’t have full range of motion in it, but it’s getting better. I had been just doing stretching and a little bit of light yoga and walking for the last almost 7 months, now because whenever I worked out, I would re-injure my shoulder. It got worse and worse and worse, to the point where I couldn’t put my ponytail in my hair. Even now, my ponytail can be a little skewed to the left side when I put it in because my shoulder mobility is not perfect yet.

I have to say that it was a win even though I didn’t get my big audacious goal. I got up when my alarm went off at six. I hit the snooze twice, so by the time I did everything I got up and I started my workout at 6:30 AM.

The workout I had planned was a start in the basement on the rowing machine rowing for 500 meters,  50 air squats, walk up the stairs, 100 jump ropes, two minutes of hula hooping, go up more stairs to the second floor and do 25 push-ups, 25 sit ups, and a minute on a plank holding for one minute. My goal was to do five rounds.

This is my first day back working out after not really working out much in six months or so and so I didn’t get that goal of five rounds. I actually did two rounds, about which I was excited. It took me 41 minutes. You may think that’s a really long time, but I say,” Take the win where you can!”

It’s so easy, especially for athletes, to be hard on ourselves and we push through the pain, when we should be resting. We can be so competitive. One of the reasons I’m in this situation is because I kept working out for two or three months until I re-injured my shoulder very badly. I was too stubborn to stop and give it a rest and just let things heal. I could not stop myself from working out, I told myself. Too stubborn and proud. And the result was months of healing. If you do have an injury, I encourage you to give it a rest in and let things just heal.

This morning, I did my 500-meter row. I did my squats. I came up the stairs and I did the jump rope and the hula hoop, but when I got to the second floor to the next part, I had to modify a bit because my shoulder can still get really sore and painful. It’s still not back to where it should be. When I did my push-ups I did them on my knees the first time and then the second round that I did them against the wall because by that time my shoulder was already feeling a little irritated. I don’t want to re-injure my shoulder again so I just did push-ups against the wall.

Whatever you do modify it to whatever level you are at to strengthen while preventing injury. That’s what I did. When it came to doing the sit ups I fine. When it came to the Plank I had to modify again. When I  tried to go up on my two elbows and hold my body up the left side was not strong enough so I ended up just doing a plank from my knees, which is not as hard as being up on your toes.

How are you doing with your workout and getting your body moving? What kind of exercise are you doing? There is a time to push yourself when you can, but if you have an injury like I do or have certain body parts that are a little weaker, sometimes we just have to work around them.

When I got up I put on my T-shirt that I got from Nick and Megan Unsworth from the Life on Fire Challenge. If you’ve never been on the Life on Fire Challenge with Nick and Megan Unsworth, I highly recommend it. They go over diverse ways that you can actually use your talents to create something that gives you fulfillment and also something that can create income for you. So, look them up. I’ll put notes at the bottom so you can do the challenge next time. Nick and Megan do it every few months and it’s free unless they change it. It’s full of value and your life will not be the same after that challenge. A plug for Nick and Meagan Unsworth.

Let’s talk about celebrating the little things. First of all, I actually woke up early this morning. That’s a win. I made my bed. Another win. I heard a military man once say that if you make your bed every day at least you’ve accomplished something. I got myself ready to workout. I had everything set up for this morning and I did the work out. That is a win.

I didn’t get my big audacious goal of five rounds, but that’s okay. I got up I did what I could do. When I get up, not tomorrow, but the next day, because I’ll give my body a day of rest, the next time I will do little bit better. Hopefully, my shoulders will be a little stronger.

The other thing to think about is self-care. As an athlete you may want to push. We want to do our best. When I walk into the CrossFit gym and I’m doing CrossFit I feel like I’m tough. I feel really good about myself, confident, strong. We still have to take that time to take care of ourselves.

After I did my work out, I did my stretches. I’ve been working with a physical therapist, his name is Jose a Champion Physical Therapy. Shout out to Jose because he has been great. I’ve been doing the stretches that he’s given me to do. After I finish this, I’ll talk I’m going to go and ice my shoulder. Why? Because I don’t want to have the injury again and I would like to heal and get better. Maybe I’ll do another one of these talks on frozen shoulder. So my condition started out as an injury to my biceps and it went up into my shoulder and actually froze up my shoulder.  There’s a lot of people who are getting into middle age and older that get a frozen shoulder just for no reason. They wake up one day and all of a sudden, their shoulder won’t move. It can take months to year for those to heal.

I am encouraging you to get out, get moving, get excited about being healthy and feeling good because when you feel good health wise you can do all sorts of things when you don’t feel good it’s hard to do anything. Now, I will be going for my walk and I hope you all have a wonderful day.

 Life on Fire Challenge with Nick & Megan Unsworth


 

Comments

Popular Posts