Taking Control of Your Physical Health - Moving & Exercising

 

Is your life full of things that you love, things you love to do, people you enjoy spending time with? Or has it gotten tiring and exhausting you don't want to get up in the morning. Well, it's time to change that.

I'm doctor Kimberley Linert, author of the book, Visualizing Happiness in Every Area of Your Life. It is a step-by-step guide to creating an incredible life for yourself. I'm also the host of the Incredible Life Creator podcast where I interview people from different walks of life to find out what gives them happiness and fulfillment and how they're putting their gifts out into the world. There's lots of people you can listen to find out ideas about what would make you happy and what would give you the most joy and make your life fun again.

So, I want to talk about one part in the book I have written that is at the end. This part talks about putting it all together. It’s great to have dreams and goals and things like that but if you don't put it on your calendar it doesn't happen. The book takes you through a process finding out who you are, what you like, what your values are, what's important to you, and what would give you joy or happiness in your life or what things you would love to have in your life. At the end you take it and you put it all together and you put it together by putting it on your schedule. I have people pull out their calendar. I like to color code mine and it's easy to do on Google Calendar or other electronic calendars. I have even used paper calendars in the past. When I color code mine, for example, green signifies when I'm making money. Those are my money-making activities. Different colors mean different things so you can make your calendar however you like. Every week these are the things I want to do. Once a month these are the things I want to do. I would like to take my family on a wonderful vacation, so let's put that on the calendar. How many times have you said, “Oh, I'd really love to do that one day”, but one day never comes? So, this is a way to create your life so that day does come because it's on the calendar.

 Today, I'm going to start out by sharing what I'm doing in my life. The book goes over different areas of life physical, emotional mental, spiritual and career things so that you can look at all the different areas of your life. The area I want to look at today is physical. I'm just going to talk specifically about exercise today and getting yourself moving. Regardless of how old you are or your physical condition you can do some type of movement, even if you are in a wheelchair there’s people who do wheelchair exercises. There's just no excuse for not moving. Do something physical to make your body feel better and to just expand your life.

My opinion, from my experience and from what I observed is that the secret to living a long life is breathing. In other words, taking in oxygen, relaxing, breathing into your body what it needs and moving. I have created a whole technology around that called Optic BrainFit. It combines vision, brain, and movement integration for optimal performance in every area of life.

Today, I want to talk about physical exercise. To be really transparent I had a shoulder injury that started as a bicep injury when I was exercising over six months ago. It got to the point where I couldn't even put my ponytail in and I couldn't brush my hair because my shoulder and my bicep got so stiff that it wouldn't move. I couldn't even put my hand behind my back to put my coat on. Before my injury I was doing CrossFit, which is, you know, pretty intense and I was doing it quite often. My shoulder and arm were so painful, that I was unable to do much exercising without worsening the injury. After six months of only doing stretching and very little exercise I found myself fatter and bigger than I've ever been before. My clothes aren't feeling comfortable anymore. Now my clothes are feeling tight and it's uncomfortable. I don't want to be bigger. I want to be my ideal size. In other words, that size where I could be flexible and comfortable and I can move and I feel good.

I've gotten so I'm not moving as much because of that injury and so I said to myself, “Okay, today is the day I am going to put together my new workout. I have a lot of other things moving parts happening in my life right now. So, I I don't really have time to go to the gym. I'm going to have to do something at home. I am a person that loves exercise. I know some of you hate exercise, but I have been one of the few that just love exercise. I still need help getting motivated because it's easier to sit than it is to get up. You need to get that momentum going. Starting tomorrow morning I will begin the new workout I created for myself. I will let you all help me stay accountable.

I designed it just using the equipment that I have at home. I may have more equipment at home than some people do because I have been exercising for many years. In fact, when I was in college, this is going to show my age, but when I was in college, I was an aerobics instructor. What that is, for people who are younger, is a fitness instructor. I taught exercise dance and step aerobics. We would do exercise to music, and it was like a routine that would change every time. I really loved doing that. If any of you were my age you may remember that was the Jane Fonda era, where we would wear the leotards with the thong back on it and pink tights. It was a different time. I just want to share with you my new workout that I'm going to do. I'm just using what I have at my house to create the workout. I am thankful that I have rowing machine in my basement. Thanks to my son who is a personal trainer. The rowing machine is at my house because he doesn't have room for it at his house right now.

Here is my circuit. I’m going to start out in the basement doing a 500-meter row and then after I do the 500 meter row I'm going to do 50 jump squats Next, I will climb up the stairs to get to the first floor where I have my jump rope and my hula hoop ready. I will do 100 jump ropes and then I'm going to do two minutes of hula hooping. I love hula hooping. When I finish hula hooping, I'm going to go up the stairs again to the second floor. On the top floor I'm going to do 25 pushups 25 sit-ups and a one-minute plank, which is you know you're just holding on in a plank position. For me, one minute is a long time. I'm hoping I can make it. When I finish that I'm going to go back and do it again. In fact, I'm going to do it five times. So when I am on the top (second floor) I'm going to go down the stairs to the first floor and then I go down a second set of the stairs to the basement.

I will start again 500-meter row, 50 air squats, climb up the stairs, 100 jump rope, two minute hula hoop, climb up the second set of stairs, 25 pushups, 25 sit-ups and a one minute plank. And, back down the stairs to the basement to do it again! Five times total!

I'm going to check in and let you know how I'm doing. I am sharing this to encourage you to exercise and move your body. It doesn't have to be something difficult. Start moving your body, your physical body. You can design it however you like. I happen to really like going to classes where there is an instructor and other people to workout with.

There is an aquatics center near me with a pool. I would like to do the water exercise classes there once my schedule permits. Water exercise classes are great. When you are having fun in the water and you're moving and thinking, “Oh, this isn't doing anything,” but it really does. It burns fat and gets your heart rate up and you are actually pushing the water so you're using your muscles.

I encourage you to find something that you enjoy and start moving, even if it's going for a walk. I usually walk every day as part of my routine. I do that for many reasons. Part of it is exercise, but the main reason I actually go for a walk is to connect with nature and to connect with God. To go out into that open space and just relax and breathe and walk and do my thinking and sometimes they'll listen to something motivational while I'm walking or sometimes, I just walk and look around. I’m  a photographer so take pictures of things. I take pictures of flowers and plants and sometimes I get up really close to take a picture of an ant. If you are a photographer, you understand how taking photos of simple things can be so exciting.

I encourage you to find a way to move your physical body and put it on your calendar. After I finish writing this I'm going to put it on my calendar at 6:00 in the morning. So, at 6am in the morning I'm going to get up and I'm going to do this work out. I will let you know how it's going.

Let me know which exercises you're doing and what things you enjoy and why you're doing it. Let's just help each other to be accountable and create an amazing life. You have to  feel good and be healthy physically if you want to feel good in other ways and if you want to enjoy your life. Good luck with all that and I'll check in again soon.

Get your copy of the book: Visualizing Happiness in Every Area of Your Life here on Amazon:  https://amzn.to/3LioWOi

Listen to Incredible Life Creator podcast here:   

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/IncredibleLifeCreatorwithDrKimberleyLinert

Apple podcast link: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/incredible-life-creator-with-dr-kimberley-linert/id1472641267

Spotify podcast link: https://open.spotify.com/show/6DZE3EoHfhgcmSkxY1CvKf


Comments

Popular Posts